R.A.S.

Members Login Join Us

ROMAN ANTIQUITIES SECTION


Gazetteer of ROMAN  Yorkshire
Military Settlements Roads Miscellaneous Villas Roads
Interactive Roman Yorkshire Map Help Using Gazetteer
Web design by Mike Haken

Home

About RAS

Roman Remains

Gazetteer of Roman Yorkshire

Links & Resources

Contact Us

YAS Website

The remains of a bath house were excavated by the forerunner of RAS from 1938 to 1946. Part of a mosaic found in 1856 is now in Well parish church. The huge size of the plunge bath, 40ft x 15ft x 7ft deep, plus the lack of any obvious agricultural buildings does suggest that this site may have some other purpose, possibly a shrine, although it is still usually interpreted as a villa.

A fragment of mosaic and floor found at nearby Langwith, sometimes claimed as evidence of a separate villa site, is generally thought to have originated here at Well and then transported as rubble to make a track.

Well
Villa
North Yorkshire, SE 26508185
Well Villa Pastscape Page External Webpages & Links

Visible Remains: Limited, in private garden, mosaic in church

Access: none

Loading...